It’s a Wrap! How Do I Use My Tongue? James 3:1-12
How Do I Use My Tongue?
We’ve Spent 11 Days,
- LOOKING at James 3:1-12, 12 verses, to correctly see what God says.
- Learning how to use GODcha.
- Becoming familiar with some of the different skills to help us correctly see what God says.
Today, we want to Wrap it up!
- Review all we have LEARNED.
- LIVE it out! Apply it to our lives.
Open GODcha to the Book of James.
NOTE: If you don’t have GODcha Get It >,
OR use your hardbound Bibles and follow along.
Do You Remember Why James Wrote This Letter?
1. To command believers, those of the faith, to be doers of the Word of God, not just hearers,
2. Explaining that faith without works is dead, useless, because it cannot save you.
3. Thus, hoping to turn a sinner from the error of his ways so his soul will be saved from death.
Are you keeping all this in mind as you work through your discovery?
Before We Begin, Let’s Pray
Oh Lord, as we come to Your Word today to bring everything together, please show us our hearts, and see if there be anything that would hinder us from hearing You. May we confess and repent, and move on to hear what You are saying. Grant us understanding and help us walk away in such a way that we will live in the light of these mighty Truths. Thank you!
We LOOKED at James 3:1-12
We have been letting GODcha take us directly to God’s Word,
teaching us how to use certain skills
to see what God has to say about ‘the use of our tongues’.
So now, let’s take all that God has taught us and connect the dots to bring it all together.
To refresh your mind and what will you do?
Context Rules Interpretation
We see CONTEXT thus far is all about Genuine Saving Faith.
Our Faith Can Be Seen in How We Respond to:
Trials that grow us;
Temptations that can destroy us;
The Word of God;
To Those in Need – Fulfilling the Royal Law, Not Showing Partiality.
True Genuine Faith is Seen:
In our Righteous Works!
Go to GODcha
Let’s Check Out GODcha’s
#10 LEARN/LIVE Questions
#10. Ch 3, The next test of true faith will show in the tongue. What do you learn?
a. Why will teachers incur a stricter judgment?
b. What do the illustrations of a horse and ship teach you?
c. What do you understand about the consequences from the illustration of a tongue set on fire? (v1-12)
Try to Answer on your own.
And then we will Answer together.
Keep in mind James’ purpose in writing this letter.
To Answer, Let’s Sum Up What We Have Discovered.
The Tongue is a small part of the body but can cause much trouble.
- Use their tongues – to speak Truth or Error.
- Influence many – to grow or stray.
- Therefore, they will incur a stricter judgment.
- Are teachers – making disciples.
- Stumble in what we SAY
- What proceeds out of the mouth, comes from the heart.
- A mature person doesn’t stumble with their words, thus able to control their entire body.
The Tongue Has the POWER to:
We all stumble, but will be held accountable for our every word.
LIKE a Horse’s bit and a Ship’s rudder the tongue:
- has the power to control our entire body, and
- direct and influence our life.
LIKE a Fire the tongue:
- Is a small fire – Our words start fires, fuel and spread fires; and heat things up.
- Defiles the entire body – our words stain our entire being, and can damage our entire life.
- Sets on fire the entire course of our life – the stain expands to others who are touched by our lives.
- Set on fire by hell – meaning our tongues can be a tool of Satan’s.
Bless and Curse
LIKE a Fountain the tongue: can’t give forth 2 kinds of water
LIKE a Tree or a Vine the tongue: can’t bear 2 kinds of fruit.
Our words are to be fresh (sweet), not bitter, giving forth life.
Man Can Tame Animals BUT Not the Tongue
LIKE some animals: our words are a restless evil and full of deadly poison.
God Can Tame the Tongue
- Believers Have Divine Power to Control Tongues – A New Heart and the Holy Spirit Within that cause a willingness to submit to the power of the Spirit.
- Believers Are Responsible to Use Their Tongue Right, Not Wrong.
- Thus, we will be Judged By Our Words.
Let’s Sum it Up!
- Tongues Have the Power to Control Us.
- Believer’s Have Divine Power to Control the Tongue.
- Believer’s Words are to be for Good, not Evil.
- We Will be Judged by Our Words.
Can I remind you that:
Nobody told you what the text says or means.
Nobody told you what to believe or think.
You didn’t guess or come up with speculations to answer the questions.
You LOOKED at what God said, discovering what He means.
You Discovered Truth for Yourself!
HEAR God Speak
#10. What comes from my tongue?
a. What do I speak and teach? Does my tongue teach God’s Word or man’s words; Truth or error?
b. Seeing the tongue has the power to control me, what will I do to control it?
c. What fires have I set with my tongue? What poison have I spewed? What damage was done?
d. What will I do to I commit to focus on my tongue, and concentrate on my words and tone?
Respond to God as the Spirit speaks to your heart!
LIVE it out…
That’s a Wrap!
Oh, I pray you have engaged with God in a very special way as you LISTENED to Him speak to you personally.
What is the condition of our hearts?
One of the tests that proves the reality of our faith is how we use our tongues.
Can you and I pass the test?
Meditate on all He has taught you this week, for it pleases Him. Be glad in Him, (Psalm 104:34).
What have you learned about yourself?
Is there some action God is requiring of you?
Do you need to confess and repent?
NOTE and SAVE What God Has Taught You!
You’ll want to put this Review in your Notes.
Enter the personal things God has touched you with.
Turn What We LEARNED into Prayer
OH LOVING FATHER GOD, AND OUR GLORIOUS LORD JESUS CHRIST, we bless You and Praise You, and continue to thank you for all You are revealing to us in Your Word through James. Thank you Holy Spirit for leading and guiding us into these marvelous Truths about the tongue. Oh Father, thank you for Your reproof and correction. We confess the many times we have stumbled in what we have said hurting others with our words. Oh, forgive us Lord! Once again we are so thankful for Your promise that when we confess our sins to You, You are faithful and righteous to forgive us and cleanse us from all unrighteousness. We are ever so grateful that You have given us Your divine power to control our tongues. Help us to be sensitive to You, Holy Spirit, and be slow to speak. May we think and make the choice to speak sweet water to our hearers. Let the fruit of our lips be gracious and seasoned with salt. Oh, may we be doers of Your Word with our tongues, honoring and glorifying You in all we say. We ask this in our Lord’s holy name. Amen!
I am so proud of you, for you are doing the one thing that is necessary, learning to sit at the feet of Jesus, in His presence, listening to what He has to say to you personally through His Word and the power of the Holy Spirit!
Rest and worship the Lord!
Next: In a couple of days we will LOOK @ James 2:14-26.
Need the GODcha Bible Guide? Go to www.Godcha.org and subscribe.